Sunday, January 27, 2008

MySpace

I built a My space page for this class then I could not access it, so I fixed that. And here it is http://www.myspace.com/gobeavers2010. I didn’t put my real age just because, I didn’t feel comfortable but as time goes by I might change that. I don’t like to just put it all out there for every one to see, but I am not making things up and putting false personal info (other then age). I posted a photo for people to see, some might recognize me others will not. Truth in advertising and not putting to much personal information out for the world to see is that road block for me.
Several questions I face when I was deciding what to put on my page.
Why have a my space page (other then for class)? To meet people and keep friends and family informed of what is happening in my world.
How much is to much personal information, and where do I draw the line between true personal information and false? When you purposely place fake information about yourself is when it becomes false. Too much personal information is when you post enough information that someone could use to make identification or make purchases (steel your identity). This is my fear, that if I post too much info someone could either steel my ID or commit crimes against me or my family. I see people posting information that could be used to locate them and when they put information about travel or leaving home it just opens the door for house break-ins, or other crimes.
How can you protect your self from these kinds of threats? Keep your real personal information away from you’re my space or face book pages. Pictures are ok, but if you put your location (address, or city) you open the door for people to search you out. Be careful who you respond to online (email, instant messages) and be very careful what you put in responses, and what you down load.
I was uncomfortable when I first started building my page because I am not sure if I will make a page worth visiting and one that is not to revealing and open. I see how other people are constantly updating pages and putting information on what they are doing and how they are feeling at that moment. I don’t think I can keep up with that; I might be online and updating once a day not every hour. My previous experience with a web site was when I built a web page for me and my Jeep Wrangler, I joined clubs and web rings. I have not kept up my web page so the last updates are over a year ago. I will some time soon get in there and fix links and photos and add more current information. I just could not keep up with the page and keep updating and building. If you would like to visit it and see what I drive and see how a web page that has not been updated looks (all the dead links and photos that are not currently working).
http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/saturn/279/page1.html
Sorry I ramble and get off track,
Casey

3 comments:

Suzziq said...

Did you have a facebook account before you created your myspace account? If not, how did you decide on myspace rather that facebook?

I feel the same way about update a page multiple times a day even multiple times a week. Updating your page when something significant changes in your life is acceptable but really, why does anyone need to know what anyone else is doing throughout the day? I guess I don't understand updating a myspace page that frequently. I do however have a passion for music so I try to update my song on my page once a week.

Shawna Slover said...

I have to say that I had the same fears of either having information stolen from my page to be used against me or worse, being stalked by someone. I think that you are wise for not posting specific information and especially protecting your identity, your home, your family. I am not sure that others take this into consideration when divulging so freely…
Great Post
Shawna

Casey said...

I do have a face book page but it is just for playing trivia so I have nut posted or updated anything, my daughter got me signed up and she sends me so much stuff, that it almosts looks like her page with all of the things she has sent or is doing. I play the OSU trivia and set a few high marks before I ran out of questions. So Instead of linking my self to her and posting that I made a page on myspace. Music is a very nice touch on the pages I have a song and I picked others but I only have this one. it adds some spice and character to the pages.

Casey