I interviewed three people who I know and are in the different age groups. My subjects were my daughter who is 19, my mother in-law who is 61, and my wife who is 37. I decided on these three because they have some computer skills and have been exposed to the internet; also it is a good look at how 3 generations of women in the same family are effected by technology.
What are their primary uses of the internet? (61<) I use the internet for surfing, communicating with family and friends (36-60) School work, and to stay in contact with family, shopping, playing games. (18-35) I use it for school work, to contact friends and family, and to do some shopping, playing games, posting online stuff to MySpace and face book.
How comfortable are you with communicating on the internet? (61<)Not very comfortable, getting more use to it the more I use it. (36-60) Very comfortable I do most of my communicating with family online so sending email and posting stuff to our family MySpace page is normal for me. (18-35)I am extremely comfortable with communicating online.
How have changes in technology changed the way you live your life? Are these changes better or worse then before? (61<)I have to put a piece of tape on the VCR to block the flashing clock, and a piece of cardboard to cover the bottom of the TV screen to block the scrolling text. Soon I will loose TV broadcasting if I don’t have cable. If there is an error on the computer I have to get one of my kids to come figure it out. Worse because life has changed and the old ways are gone. (36-60) I am becoming a hermit, can order pizza online pay for it and have it delivered. Play games at home, work from home, can communicate with family at home. Don’t have to leave the house. It is better for me because I don’t like to deal with people. (18-35) there is not very much of a change because I have grown up with it. I am faster typing then with out it but my spelling is not as good with out spell check. Better because I don’t really know what it is like with out it.
What do you think of the internet? (61<) It is Interesting there is lots of stuff to learn and it is fun to email and chat with family, makes it easier to stay in contact with them on a regular basis. (36-60) Love the internet. (18-35)Really like it, need more ways to connect to it.
Have you made purchases online? (61<) No. (18-35) Yes, musical instruments, books for school, EBAY. (36-60) Yes, EBAY, Netflix, Books, school Classes.
I really enjoyed seeing the differences in the generations and how much the internet has influenced each of them. My mother in law has been connected at work for her job but on and off at home for years. We just helped her get back online after about a year of not having internet. And yes I do get the calls to come see what the error(s) are and sometimes they are really simple ones but with an older computer you get lots of fun errors with new programs not being able to run on this old of machine. I often find the computer and the power strip unplugged because she was frustrated with something and just pulled the plug. Also the differences with how each of them have integrated technology into their own lives; How my daughter has really not known life with out it and my wife has grown up with the changes and my mother in law has seen the changes and has only just begun to get involved with them in a personal basis, she has used computers at work for years. Also my daughter is very connected and always looking for new ways to be in the know, from phones, cameras, PSP (personal Sony Play station) and wireless laptops.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Yes, I get frustrated with a slow Internet connection as well! In this generation, it seems to be all about delivering information faster.
On another note, I like how you formated this assignment. It gave me a good look at the comparisons between age groups. I like your question about making online pruchases. What I have notices among the blogs is more of online shopping is being done by the younger generation, although I did come across a few blogs with 61< generation people who did mention online shopping. Thanks, I've learned a lot!
Shopping online has really exploded and you can go shopping just about anywhere any time online. Yeah with my wife setting up her mother with a MySpace page and she can now blog it will be interesting to see what she puts on her page. Just a safety note, I heard a story about how local inmates at the State prison are taking online classes at colleges here in Oregon. Someone who is taking a class with an inmate has mentioned that posting personal information might be a bad idea because you don't know what they have access to and what they might pass on to other inmates.
Casey
Post a Comment