Research Paper
I decided to choose a subject that fit the class, which involves the internet and communication. I decided on internet crime because it is a topic we have discussed a little bit and I wanted to learn some more. So off to the library I went in search of sources for a research paper.
First thing is to explore the subject of internet crime and what is a crime one the internet, also how is it perpetrated by the internet user or internet predator. A crime that is committed on the internet could be as simple swiping a photo or logo from a web page, or just like with plagiarism steeling someone else’s work off of the internet. Or worse there is the use of internet web sites, email to spread viruses or worms to gain information from other users. Hacking as it is called where someone uses a computer to break into another computer, computer system, web site, or business to do harm. With this information I started my search. I found a limited supply of available sources that were available at my local library.
One thing I found was that for adults the internet subject was full of resources most of which were how to use the internet, or how to become more of a player in the internet world. There was not much about internet crime; the ones that were available yet checked out at the time were about how to let your kids be online and things to do to protect them. So I found my self in the teen and children’s section looking at books. There was a significant difference in the amount of sources available from the library and online. I separated the two when it comes to where I could get the information from since many libraries have online catalogs where you can access the same sources you do at home online. So I excluded those from my library search. The differences in information types between the two sources many of which were to same, magazines and publications were available (online not always as thorough) for the information, but it cuts down on the noise around It (advertisements in the pages of a magazine).
Going to the library is always interesting you have to pay to park, then if you go later in the day or evening you can avoid the petition drives. The driveway entrance is always interesting with congestion from entering vehicles and exiting vehicles, along with traffic just driving down the road. The big difference between sitting at home searching or going to the library where you get to walk, use stairs, bending stooping stretching, and in some places climbing to find sources. At home it seems simple and easy, sources at your finger tips, data mine online pages and articles, instead of reading books and pushing pages. I guess the exercise is and was good for me, and the cost of gas, and the parking meter really was not that much. Plus I was able to pick up books for other purposes outside of class, so the trip to the library was not bad. The changes in my life from the visit to the library were the chance to spend some time with my wife, and exercise.
Library resources
Always give a look at the Library of Congress reference book, just to get some ideas and other search words or topics.
Gordon, Sharon Mabry. “Downloading Copyrighted Stuff From the Internet Stealing or Fair Use?” Enslow Publishers Inc. Berkley Heights, New Jersey. 2005
Grant-Adamson, Andrew. “Crime and Detection Cyber Crime”. Mason Crest Publishers. Broomall, Pa. 2003
Eoghan, Casey. “Digial Evidence and Computer Crime, Second Edition”. Academic Press. San Diego, Ca (2004)
A few internet sources I found
http://www.fbi.gov/majcases/fraud/internetschemes.htm
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/ovc/publications/bulletins/internet_2_2001/
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/badguys/070416/top_10_internet_crimes_of_2006.htm
http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/reporting.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_crime
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Katy Hersh's response...
I agree with you it was very different finding sources online versus going to the library and spending more time finding sources. Sometimes when I’m looking for books it’s hard to find exactly what you’re looking for, you always get close, but you have to scan so much information to see if you just have the right source. On-line if the source is not right you just hit the back button and on to the next source!
I like how you answered the question of having to go to the library and I now feel somewhat guilty for only recognizing the negativity with my experience. Maybe that says something about how I view social situations! HA! Anyway…
I also like how you brought up the point about online magazines and publications not being as thorough as hardcopies or paper publications. However, on the other hand, I can also appreciate not having to flip through pages of advertisements, which seem to consume magazines these days.
It’s ironic that the majority of books in the library, when researching communication and the internet are related to ‘how to protect your children and yourself from online predators’ yet predatory incidents continue to be so prevalent. Makes you think maybe more people should be in the library than online!
Great Post
Shawna
Post a Comment